Monday, 18 July 2011

Rhubarb, Rhubarb and Surprise!!!!!!

Hi there everyone, It's time for me to update you on my last couple of weeks.

Well I have been busy. I went to stop at my Younger sons while he and his DW went to Spain for a few days. This coincided with their elder daughter going off to France with school for about 10 days (not really sure). Off went the older holiday makers at about 5.30a.m. so that they would be in good time for their flight from Liverpool airport. I was dutifully awake to wave them off. At about 7.00a.m. the grandchildren were up and about. The next holiday maker having a slight problem, mainly she couldn't close her case. 'Grandma' comes the call from upstairs. Off I go to help solve the problem!!! I have never seen so much 'stuff',(that would probably never be used,) being put into a suitcase. Now maybe it's just me but how many of you out there take a four plug extension lead on hols with you??? Plus ipod holders, a multitude of various continental plug adapters. A box of energy bars, birthday presents ( her 15th birthday occurred in the middle of the hol) and cards, all sorts of odd bits and last but not least a tub of 'Pot Noodle'. I can only assume that the suitcase was going to get very hungry.!!. Anyway after re-packing the suitcase with plugs etc. stuffed into trainers and a general reshuffle Lo and Behold the suitcase fastened. Her brother and sister waited patiently ....well for so long... they had sorted out their own breakfast (Yippee) when her brother reminded me that he had to take his bicycle to school as he was lending it to a friend so that his friend could do his 'cycling proficiency '( I found out later that his friend had had his bicycle stolen). So after wishing his sister a 'fond farewell' he vanished off to school. Her sister waited for her and we set off for the High School. We passed another parent, looking rather harrassed, still trying to get her son's belongings into the back of her car. I don't mind telling you how glad I was that I was not the only one going slightly loopy. We arrived at the High School and drove down to where we had to unload their cases.(They weren't leaving until 16.00hrs.) There were two boys there already. At this point I must tell you that the boys had made the decision that they would be wearing 'TY-Dyed' 'T'shirts' I wish I had a photo to show you but if I tell you they were dyed a mix of delicate shades of 'PINK and Orange'(Please use your imagination!!!) One boy was kitted out to travel in his Ty Dye also sporting a pair of pinky washed out looking crop trousers. (His mother was just shaking her head at him) Another one had a very querky hat on also with Ty Dye shirt The third boy arrived (evidently dressed by his mother) rather more sensibley attired. The two TY Dyes said ' Hey! Where's your holiday gear?' 'In my case ,' was the answer. I can tell you the look of horror on his mother's face was absolutlely picturesque. when he proceeded to unpack his case to find his fantastic TY Dye and get changed in the school car park, I have know idea yet how the holiday went but I'm sure at some point I'll get to hear all about it. I did remember to deliver the younger granddaughter to her school with no problem. I then went back to my 'temporary home' to sort out the chaos that seemed to be everywhere.(not that bad really).
I had a list of things such as Scouts 19.00, NO Guides, Saturday Dancing. etc etc. Now on Saturday I also had my other three grandchildren to look after plus the Dancing runs. Football competitions, delivering granddaughter to other grandmas to go to a 'Strawberry Tea' at the Church Hall. I actually managed to get all to where they needed to be and at the right time .
The next day my DH and I took the two grandchildren down to Chirk Castle, on the border of Wales, for a Plant Detective day..
They thoroughly enjoyed themselves talking to a gentleman

who was dressed in period costume who showed them how the country was mapped using a 'Half Chain measure'(11 Yards) and also how to measure trees to assess their age.!
This one is thought to be about 100 years old. ( according to my granchildren's measuring.) It was quite a long day and we had tea at Mc Donalds and then headed for home. I was handing over to their other grandmother for the last day and a half of minding. I was exhausted!!!
Back to my saga. The next week went as usual volounteer in a local school, go to son's to do the school taking and collecting for a couple of days. Except this time I was going to the Year6's production of a very amusing 'play' called 'School Daze' I must say it was excellent, and generally considered to be the best one yet. The next day I was back at the grandchildren's school volounteering there as well, and then in the afternoon went to several performances by the children (in year groups) ages 8 to 11. Highly entertaining afternoon. and then eventually back to my own home and my DH. At weekend I had my other three grandchildren to stay for Sat. plus Sat. Night. as usual baking was on the list of 'to do'. This is a cheese cake that we made up our own recipe for , must say it tasted pretty good, decoration courtesy of Lily

Now tho the part I know you have been waiting progress on the stitching stakes.... I have tried Honestly to fit in some stitching so here we go.
I have worked a little on Ngoma Kem Kem in the evening at home but found I was getting myself very confused trying to read across two charts but never the less progress has been made.

I have done pretty well with Agneatha. I've reached the right hand side and started to work up. The tail has been a bit of a nightmare with all the black and dark grey but at least that is now finished, mind you I still have the back stitching to do, I know I say that everytime.( I keep wondering if the Backstitch Fairy will call.) I must admit I'm not too keen on stitching on Aida anymore but when it comes with the kit that's what I use. I would say that I have done about a 1/4 of the design (well maybe)

I've got a surprise for you now. Yes I've got another finish. 'Counting Bats' by Just Nan is done. I'm now looking for a suitable backing fabric to make it into a bell pull. I'm really pleased with this and I'm hoping that the picture is showing the colours as they really are, fingers crossed.
I have been looking through my UFO's. One I started in 1998 keeps calling me. It's by Bucilla. The Apache Wedding Vows. I found it out and put away again!!!! The aida it's stitched on must be 11 count and for some reason it put me off it.. I suppose I'll just have to get it out and look again. Perhaps the aida will have shrunk.
Well that's it for now. Hope you joined in my 'Happy Dance' with me. . Thanks for dropping in and if you've had the time to leave a comment , much appreciated,
Until next time here's hoping your needles are flying and the frogs are sleeping.


Elaine said...

Sounds like you are such a wonderful busy Grandma, so enjoy reading the famiy up-dates.
Lovely wips and congrats on your gorgeous Counting Bats finish!

Lesleyanne said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time with your grandchildren. Lovely progress on your wips. Your finish is gorgeous.

Mouse said...

wow you have been busy :) love the just nan ... and you should try back stitching as you go along :) and the appache wedding blessings I think was done on 14 count aida ... just change the fabric if you don't like aida any more love mouse xxxx

SoCal Debbie said...

Such a busy busy grandma! I'm exhausted just reading about all that you do! Counting Bats looks great, and Agneatha is wonderful! Happy Stitching!

Nancy in IL said...

Flo, I always enjoy reading the stories about the grandchildren; you're a very attentive and energetic grandma - lucky grandkids!

Loved looking at the WIPs, and congratulations on a WONDERFUL finish with the Just Nan piece. It's just a joy to see! So many details and stitched just right!

Bekca said...

I can't believe you managed to fit in any stitching at all during this busy week with all your lovely grandkids. Congrats on the Just Nan finish and I must say, Agneatha is looking amazing already. It will look stunning when it's all finished. Hope you've got a bit of rest time ahead of you now. Best wishes and happy stitching.

Pumpkin said...

Boy, it sounds like you've been VERY busy!

Congrats on your latest finish! Very cute :o) It must feel good to get one out of the way. Don't worry, we all have that 'one' project we just keep putting back in the drawer. LOL!

too_busy_to_stitch said...

Love that Hallowe'en finish! Definitely tempted by that one - though I've still to finish my Boo! by LK

grannyanne said...

Great stitching love Agneatha. Happy stitching to you.

Siobhan said...

It sounds like a lovely time with your grandkids. Stuff that memories are made of. :) Lovely WIPs! Enjoy your weekend.